Sunday, January 2, 2011

I'm BAAAAAAAACK!

Wow- I really dropped off the planet for a while eh? The last several months have been very exciting in general, but very lackluster in the running area.

I ran the San Francisco Marathon back in July and, as it turns out, it was a little overconfident.  I was feeling great for the first five miles. Around that time, I hit my first big hill and ran it WAY too fast. I managed to  hurt my Achilles (again). I really thought about dropping out of the race a number of times but I ran into my friends A and G who seemed to be struggling as well. The three of us ran/walked them remaining 20 miles and, as luck would have it, I finished ONE MINUTE faster than the year before. I hoped to run a sub-five hour marathon but this was not my year.

So then what happened? Well, I just kind of...stopped. I had zero motivation to run so, I didn't.  My leg was bothering me and my life was pretty hectic. I interviewed for a number of new jobs and then landed one in Colorado. Hubby and I moved to Fort Collins in October 2010.

Then, I had the urge to run again. I signed up for a 5K on Halloween and surprised myself by running my fastest race EVER. Apparently thin air makes me fast! Then, I met some new friends. One woman, J, mentioned wanting to train for a half marathon. I told her that I would be interested in training with her since that is my favorite distance EVER. So, we've been training- and I've stuck to my program. I've even managed to run, and beat, my best mile time TWICE in the past two weeks.

Today is the second day of 2011 and I've decided that I'm going to shoot for running 1000 miles again this year. I came up (way) short in 2010 but I have a feeling that I can make it happen this year. This morning, I ran 3 (freezing cold) miles with J. And, with that, I say to you- I'M BACK!

No comments:

Post a Comment