Thursday, June 9, 2011

Why Does This Matter So Much? (AKA- The Post Where I Remind You Where I Came From)

I was so excited yesterday when I figured out (well, really read on line how to) merge all of my various Google related products into one account. Finally, I could delete my obscure google account that was tied to a hotmail address and have everything under one nice, neat, GMail sign-in.

I wasn't so excited when, this morning, I took a look at my blog posts from days gone by and saw that all of my pictures have now been deleted- pictures that, I'm certain, I no longer have possession of. Google merge FAIL. I wanted to direct readers to a post I wrote back in the day to remind you why I think it's such a big deal that I'm even trying to run 1000 miles. The fact is, that a few years ago, I was so overweight that painting my toenails was a work out.

I wrote a this post back when I reached my goal weight on Weight Watchers that recounted my weight loss journey. I'm realising now that that was almost 2 years ago and I've kept all of the weight off! Honestly, I'm very impressed with myself- and this would be why.

I was overweight my ENTIRE life. I remember my mom being so worried about my because I'd eat entire blocks of cheese or four dinner rolls with butter, as a snack! I went to high school and, in my senior year, I tried out for cheerleading. All of the activity helped me lose some weight and I was really very healthy. Then, I entered college. When I graduated from college, I weighed an astonishing 265 pounds. When I got on the scale and saw that number for the first time, I couldn't believe it! There was no way that I'd gained 80-100 pounds in college! Looking back at my photos from my four years, however, it's obvious that I got heavier each year.


 
My First Year of Marriage
I lost a really significant amount of weight on the Atkins Diet and ultimately looked like this ---->. I went on to graduate school and I met my husband! After graduation, we quickly packed up and moved to California, where I started my first post-Master's degree job. That first year was so stressful- trying to learn how to be married, and then learn my job was overwhelming. When all was said and done, I gained about 70 pounds back.

A friend and I decided to try Weight Watchers together. I started the program in 2006 (same year I got married!) and hit my goal in 2009. Now, in 2011, I've maintained my weight and, as you know from reading this blog, I'm an ATHLETE! I've run 8 half-marathons, 2 full marathons, and countless miles on my way to 1000.

Me, Today- 117 Pounds Down
So, while 1000 miles might not be a big deal to a lot of runners (I know some who have hit 1000 miles already- in June!), it's an exceptionally big deal to me. A few years ago, I would have laughed in your face had you told me that, some day, I would want to a) run any distance at all and b) run 1000 miles in a calendar year. Today, I'm laughing in the face of anyone who thinks that I CAN'T do it!







No comments:

Post a Comment