Monday, January 14, 2008

And One More Makes Four

Yesterday, hubby and I completed the PF Chang's Rock 'n Roll half marathon in Phoenix. Overall, the race was fine. I was determined to run most, if not all, of the race- which I did- but my time left much to be desired. Oh well, I finished!!

The morning started at 5:15 am when hubby and I got out wake-up call at the hotel. Hubby was not happy as our race didn't start until 8:30 am but our hotel was only running one shuttle to the race- and it left at 6:00 am!!

So we arrived at the starting line village where it was dark and FREEZING. Luckily, I had talked to someone who had run this race before and she warned me about the early morning frostiness. Hubby and I had brought pants, jackets, hats, and gloves but we were still cold. I had "borrowed" (ok, I stole it) a blanket from our plane trip to Phoenix so hubby wrapped up in that. I then discovered that Saturn was sponsoring a heat garden!!! A what? An area that was designated for stretching that was filled with space heaters. God bless Saturn- those heaters saved us. The pic is of me snuggled up with a space heater.

Our race finally started and hubby made the mistake of saying, "If you want to run, go ahead." I took off and didn't see him again until the finish (sorry hubby)!! I ran my little heart out and earned three blisters, a finishers' medal, and a lousy time. On the other hand, I also earned enough Weight Watchers activity points to feast on a cheeseburger AND ice cream.

In the end, it's all good because I am now certain that I am capable of running a full marathon. And that's what I plan to do. In October 2008, I plan to complete the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco. Stay tuned to hear about my training!

Oh and the prize for THAT race? A Tiffany's necklace. If that doesn't motivate me, nothing will. Trust me.

And one more makes four...

No comments:

Post a Comment